Every year the Environmental Working Group (EWG) comes out with a list of fruits and vegetables that are sprayed heavily with pesticides. I find it sad that these are allowed to be sprayed onto our foods that we ingest. When and if at all possible choose organic foods. By doing so we are telling the food corporations that we want real foods without pesticides, insecticides and fungicides. What do you think about farmers being allowed to use these types of chemicals on our foods? I would love to know your opinion.
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) a pesticide is any substance or mixture of substances intended for
- Preventing, destroying, repelling or mitigating any pest.
- Use as a plant regulator, defoliant, or desiccant.
- Use as a nitrogen stabilizer
First, you need to know pesticides can enter the human body through breathing it in, eating it on our foods, or penetration through the skin. Pesticides lead to blurred vision, vomiting, suppression of the immune system, headaches, abdominal pain, lead to blood and liver diseases, depression, asthma, and nerve damage. These are horrible side effects we shouldn’t be exposed to from our foods.
These effects do not appear right away, so tracing symptoms back to a pesticide can be next to impossible. Often these symptoms can be mistaken for the flu and therefore not properly treated. Even the deadly inactive ingredients which include chloroform can cause serious risks to the liver and nervous system.
Animals can also be effected by these pesticides when they live around areas that use them. Pesticides tend to accumulate in ground water which in turn animals drink. The pesticide biomagnifies or increases to an even higher concentration and is then consumed by either another animal or humans. (EPA)